of the DEFENSELESS CHRISTIANS
Christian Inspirational Poems:
Songs from the Ausbund
"O Gott Vater, wir loben Dich und deine GŁte preisen"
The Ausbund contains about 140 poems or inspirational Christian hymns, totaling more than 800 pages in its final form. It became the most famous worship book for Anabaptists soon after imprisoned Christians began writing it between 1535 and 1540. It was first printed underground as early as 1564 and the Amish have been singing from it (many verses, very slowly) ever since. Though originally used by many Anabaptist and Mennonite congregations, only the Amish use the Ausbund today. American Mennonite groups adopted other German hymnals in the early 19th century, and today most of their hymns come from American or English tunes and poems. The name "Ausbund" means "selection" in German. It is the world's oldest hymnbook still in continous use.
Recordings and Books
As translated by Peter Hoover, quoted from his book The Secret of Their Strength, published by Elmendorf Books,
Mountain Lake, Minnesota and Rocky Cape, Tasmania
More Songs from the Ausbund
- Look at Christ the friendly knight!
- We cry to you, Lord God
- Man, are you tired of being sad?
- Prepare us for the nighttime meal, oh God
Listen to me, all peoples of the earth
Listen to how one receives Christ
- Where shall I go? I am so ignorant
- That which Adam lost
- Oh God Father, on heaven's throne, you have prepared for us a crown
- In the beginning, God created me to be his child
- Listen all you Christians
- Let us fight valiantly on
- Let him who has laid his hand on the plow not look back!
- The proud world wants to be Christian too.
- To be like Christ we love one another, through everything
- Faith comes from hearing Christian preaching
- The Christian commune is made clean through the blood of Christ
- Baptism is right, like Christ taught it.
- He who is born out of water and Spirit
- The nine men knelt on the green meadow
- We are scattered like sheep without a shepherd
- The people were surprised
- Eternal Father in heaven, I call to you from my innermost being
- The Scriptures tell us that every man should have a wife
- Love will never come to nothing
Introduction Quotations Contents